The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

kip berman of pain of being pure at heart

“Hello, Kip Berman, my name is Mark Weiss and I am a concert promoter, artist manager, college radio host and blogger in Palo Alto, California. Two years ago I noticed just the name of your band in the 2009 SXSW catalog (that I am holding) and I called this number and we spoke briefly at that time so I was thrilled to see you last night on late night television. Good luck with your new album and, I should probably do some research here,  if you find that you need someone in Palo Alto, California near San Francisco to blog about you, hook you up with college radio like KZSU here at Stanford, produce a concert or help manage the band, call Mark Weiss of Earthwise Productions at six five oh….”

About markweiss86

Mark Weiss, founder of Plastic Alto blog, is a concert promoter and artist manager in Palo Alto, as Earthwise Productions, with background as journalist, advertising copywriter, book store returns desk, college radio producer, city council and commissions candidate, high school basketball player; he also sang in local choir, and fronts an Allen Ginsberg tribute Beat Hotel Rm 32
This entry was posted in art, austistic, ethniceities, media, music and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

1. markweiss86 says:

This puts it in more context: they are on Slumberland, which was formed in DC twenty years ago but relocated to the Bay Area (think Aisler Set, Henry’s Dress). From Washington Post:

• markweiss86 says:

Okay I botched that name two Aislers Set plural (yeah math reference!) and I admit I get them confused with Dressy Bessy (for example, which one is in my little hand-written band number notebook, or which one is friends with Allen Clapp); but I also wonder, when they say “Jen Cohen, organ” do they mean “Jem Cohen” the musician who also made great film about Fugazi??
      I think I do know a Jen Cohen in Nashville…

• Mark Weiss says:

Okay, I was thinking of Mates of State, which is a digression from TPOBPAH, but is not that far from Aislers Set or Dressy Bessy, I don’t think. It was Jason of MOS whose 408 work number I had in my “artists only” log; I do recall having once had a similarly brief phone conversation (as in, Kip Berman and I that is the nidus of this post) with Wyatt from Trackstar, someone recommended for a show of maybe he initiated contact, and he was in Aislers Set, right? It all fits together, quasi.

• Mark Weiss says:

playing tonight at GAMH and in-store at Amoeba at 6:30 but I shot my wad getting to and from David Jacobs-Strain last night so I will pass:

2. markweiss86 says:

then just to complete the cycle I am forwarding this post to total strangers at labels (two actually, including Collective Sounds in LA), agency (but maybe to people I do know there, TAG, is Avery a girl’s name or a guy’s name?), pr, radio and yes we do have management, thank you, weirdo…
    maybe to people who sort of are used to hearing strange thinks from me at venue; am also noticing great shows there coming up with Radiators, Blame Sally, tuneyards (Merril Garbus) and more. They should take over the amusement park of similar name!!!

3. markweiss86 says:

And I was just thinking about DC in that I wanted to forward Tynan Shevlin (son of “Music is My Savior” stalwart Dr. Doug “ScoutMD” Shevlin)’s bandpractice! — note the bang — to Ian Mackaye merely on the strength of (and this is almost thematic here, in a second way) the name of the third track “Odds and Evens” — Mackaye has a project with Amy Farina called The Evens, that I lined up here once. Actually I was also revisiting at least in the virtual sense Seth Hurvitz and IMP apropos of I do not recall — oh yeah, Terry heard some pissant on public radio and asked why I am not more like him, producing raves and running a label. The dudes were in DC — which was the first question that occurred to me: what market? what city would there be a NPR-worthy label AND venue promoter? The point is: if you have evens the slightest relationship in DC with Seth Hurvitz (am I spelling that right?) and Ian Mackaye, you do not have to go gaga every ever kid who weasels his way onto the media aether. I was also calling DC to my old college roommate who is of outside counsel to the leading telecommnunications because I was or is preparing a rant on anti-trust grounds or anti-corporate grounds against the ubiquitous big corp trying to have its way here. But I digress, even to our nation’s capital, where also Terry Hong pulls a lot of concept at Smithsonian, I think, still.

• markweiss86 says:

I guess I don’t know him too well if I botched his name slightly (for the record, I know Wayne Horvitz slightly better, and come to think of it I likewise caught momentary shit from his protectors when I thinking of Ian Brennan the concert promoter not the Glee whiz referred to the label head as Eye-in as Brennan does and not Ee-in as Minor Threater does.

• markweiss86 says:

I’m kinda pissed off that I cannot comment on the leading video content page any more (under “earmark86” for example) without having a email account with the leading searchinjun…
        I am a privacy buff ironically enough so am drawing the line at having email account with someone who wants to scan my content so competently or thoroughly — although I want them to scan this, I think —
        I wanted to note as the first commenter on above — with only 250 views — that the guy in the image deserves a medal like the local version of NEA National Medal of Arts for what he has done with the 9:30 and related. Sorry Kip if I am letting my lovefest for DC or Seth Hurwitz steal your thunder…more pain more gain for you I hope.